Yes I know that Halloween was technically yesterday. Still, if you’re anything like me, the nights following Halloween – when your home is littered with leftover Reese’s that the kids get their grabby hands on – that are the most dangerous.
My suggestion – stock up on some healthier options to store in your fridge/freezer so that when that chocolate monster comes a-knocking, you know how to defend yourself.
Chocolate Almond Butter Cups (adapted from Detoxinista)
- 3 T almond butter (I used unsalted TJ brand)
- 2 t coconut oil
- sea salt
- 1/2 C dark chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Heat up 1/2 Cup of chocolate chips in oven safe container for 5 minutes each. Take out and place a thin later in each cupcake tin with a liner. Try to make a little “cup” shape by pushing the chocolate up the sides a little, this should help to hold the filling.
2. Place in the freezer for about 10 minutes
3. While freezing, mix together the coconut oil, a pinch of sea salt (or to taste) and almond butter*
4. With 5 minutes to go in the freezer, melt some more chocolate in the oven. Take out of the oven after 5 minutes.
5. Take frozen bottoms and place a spoonful of the filling mixture into each. Be careful to try and leave some room on the sides so that the chocolate can cover it well.
6. Spoon another later of the melted chocolate on top of the filling and refreeze for at least 2 hours.
*I followed the recipe for the filling which included coconut oil, however I think that this may have made it too liquidy. In hindsight, I might even just try this without any oil, but perhaps the oil will make it freeze better? Will have to make another batch 🙂